Another lovely cupcake challenge at the Scrapbook Boutique blog. I decided to have a go at this one, I have been lacking a bit of motivation lately in regard to cards and things, my mind is taken up with journals and albums...
Ever since I saw Jennifer McGuires canvas demonstrating technique tryouts on an Online Card Class called Inspiration Showcase, I have had in the back of my mind that I would have a go at one one day. When I saw these cupcakes I decided that the time had come!
However...(and there usually is one with me...things did not turn out according to the plan, again not unusually for me ;)
I had a nice little square canvas in the cupboard and spent a bit of time thinking through the maths...how to best divide up the space available on the canvas...how many samples...what shape...and nicer conundrums such as...what colours...what embellishments and what purpose...I find it quite difficult to design or make something for which I do not have a recipient of a definite purpose. I will show you a photograph of a rooster card which illustrates this in just a minute...
I had in my head a sort of jardin pottager, you know the idea, lovely little herb beds, all regimented and green with dainty little flowers, the odd bee or butterfly. I had the person also. My daughter has a penchant for French Provincial in their home decorating so I thought the canvas might be nice for her to put in her study...that was the plan.
I got started last evening and things very quickly got away from my control, particularly with the watercolouring. The greens refused to cooperate and the blues simply took over!
I think the main problem was that Sarah had given me some food colouring gels for me to make dye sprays with, and the blues are just lovely and I couldn't help trying them out.
I made a pile of tiny little flowers, mostly beigey colours, white, vellum, some very fine handmade paper and some Japanese rice papers.
I did several different samples of embossing, resist, stamping with my lovely W+9 lace stamp, mixed some Worn Lipstick DI into white embossing paste and used a Kaisercraft stencil to make a rosey little pattern, all on TH watercolour paper.
I also made some vellum butterflies with my SU Beautiful Wings little die, to give each little sample some dimension.
For the last sample, I was busy cutting out the makings of a tiny cameo when I remembered the little cameo charm that was my mothers...added some old lace and a tiny piece of the pink watercolour as a frame...perfect!
So that was it...not what I had planned, but it's done so I may as well enter it. I have a coffee paper journal nagging at me and I know I won't really go and make a second panel. Sarah will be greatly relieved to know that she will not be expected to display this sacchariney little canvas on her wall. I will have to think of someone with very different tastes to gift it to...
I am trying to work out ways of making the ScannCut machine as useful as the old eClips...that machine had very different functions and I believe was a better paper cutter than the Brother. I need to spend more time working out how to get rid of the cutting lines and hand score things...just as well I have plenty of time on my hands :)